The home of tomorrow isn't about Jetson-esque wonders and smartphone apps. It's about home value, the environment and our lifestyles. In an effort to predict what home features will be most valued in 25 years, we focus on 3 rising trends.
1. Extreme Energy Efficiency: Utility bills are expected to skyrocket over the next couple of decades. You can expect to see:
- Waterless toilets: Residential water rates are rising in the US and toilets are responsible for nearly 27% of our total water use.
- Grey water systems: These systems will reuse up to 60% of your household water for watering the lawn and flushing toilets.
- Energy dashboards: You know how cars share the miles per gallon we're getting? An energy dashboard will do the same for our homes.
- And garages wired for electric vehicles.
2. The Rise of Super Storms: Since super storms are becoming the norm, homeowners can be left without electricity for weeks, even months. Expect to see whole house generators become a more common feature in homes.
3. The Locally Grown Movement: The desire to eat healthier, better-tasting foods continues to increase. This will make indoor gardens more common, allowing people to create the farm to table experience in their own kitchens.
Source: www.HouseLogic.com Deirdre Sullivan